The first week or so of first-time parenting was terrifying. Sailor had Jaundice and was required to get her heel pricked every other day for about a week. Her number at one point had reached a level that was close to hospitalization. Thankfully, her number finally decreased. Putting all of this aside, though, Glen and I worried about every little cough and irregular breath. I guess that's probably normal for sleep-deprived, first-time parents. Needless to say, we finally understood the stress of parenting - at least until Sailor reached her teenage years and we would be forced to understand a whole new level of stress. Our love for this little girl, however, was increasing exponentially every day.
SAILOR
STATS
- By two weeks, Sailor had gained two pounds. Her pediatrician (Dr. Bartholomew) was thrilled with this, since apparently the goal is to maintain birth weight after two weeks.
- Sailor was SUCH a content baby for the first couple weeks of her life. It seemed like literally the day after my mom left, she started to be much fussier and high maintenance. She wasn't ever colicky, but she needed to be held constantly. I had to carry her while I did chores around the house.
- I exclusively breastfed Sailor during her whole first month. It was, hands down, the hardest adjustment about being a mom for me.
- By the end of her first month, Sailor was sleeping at least a five hour stretch (I think) at night and then would wake every couple of hours after that to eat. She slept in her swing every night and for every nap.
- Grandma Young watched Sailor for about a half hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays while Glen and I were both at school. Glen was taking a full load and I was taking only one class. My class started as Glen's was finishing, so Grandma Young watched her during our travel time so that we didn't have to do a trade-off at school. At the time, we were living in Glen's parent's guest house, so this was super convenient.



 |
| There was definitely a lot of this happening. |
 |
| ..And this, since Glen and I were both in school. |
 |
| Apparently her neck was already getting strong because she was able to support that gigantic flower. |
 |
| "What to eat for breakfast.. hmmm..." |
 |
| "We've got a charge on #24. We're going the other way." |
 |
| ... And more sleeping. |
 |
| She loves her daddy. Who wouldn't like being held by those arms? |
 |
| "Please.. no more.." |
 |
| Showing off her blanket from Great Grandma DeSpain. |
 |
| She looks as sleep-deprived as we felt. |
 |
| This was Sailor's favorite toy. Whenever she'd get fussy, we would turn it on and she'd immediately stop. |
 |
| Setting up the "gazebo" (as Glen calls it) from Great Aunt Amy. |
Sailor wasn't fond of the backpack.
 |
| "I'm ready for my close-up." |
 |
| "Hmm.. you're definitely the better looking of the two parents. I sure hope I get those lips." |
 |
| Gotta love that lone patch of hair in the back of her head. |
 |
| Food coma |
 |
| Contrary to what her shirt says, she was not loving Dad at this moment. |
 |
| Sailor LOVED having her back patted after a hearty meal. |
 |
| Uncle Roman with his friend, Clinton, using the "stack-of-firewood" baby-holding approach. |
 |
| Sailor spent so much time under this gazebo her first 4 or 5 months. |
No comments:
Post a Comment