Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sailor at 18 Months

Sailor,

You are now 18 months old and I can't believe it. Because you are growing up so fast and there are so many  aspects of your personality that I never want to forget, I'm writing you this note in hopes that I will remember this time more easily in 20 years or so.

You are SO much like your daddy. Everyone says you look just like him and, while I can't necessarily see the physical resemblance, I see similarities in almost every other aspect. You both have so much personality. You both love to dance and can't contain your moves whenever you hear music (even during Sacrament hymns). You both have dry skin and get cracks in your feet (haha). Both of your happiest times are right after you've had a bath/shower. You are exactly what I picture your dad to have been when he was your age: sociable, fiesty, smart, stubborn (but only at times ;)), and adventurous. Your Grandpa Young tells a story of your dad when he was younger that totally reminds me of something you'd do when you get a little older. Your dad had poked someone in the eye and your grandpa was trying to discipline him for doing it. When your grandpa asked him, "What if I poked you in the eye?" your dad looked him square in the eye and said, "Do it." Haha!

I honestly can't say enough about your personality. You have a more outgoing, sociable and volatile personality than anyone your age I've ever known. You are constantly making people laugh with your dancing, laughing, singing, extreme friendliness, and advanced speech. You really are a little firecracker. We can't go into a store without making new friends because you say 'hi!' to everyone we pass. If they don't notice you or don't say 'hi' back, you will continue to say 'hi' to them, even if it means yelling it from down the aisle. You have never had a fear of strangers. It is only recently that you have become more hesitant to go to others if I am holding you. But even now, you could walk away from me in an amusement park and be lost for hours and probably not even care.

You love older kids, especially boys. You are totally uninterested in anyone near your age. You usually just want to play with their older siblings. For instance, you are obsessed with our 7-year-old neighbor boy, Shawn. We play with him in the front yard sometimes and he occasionally comes over to the house. You just can't get enough of him. One day we were in the backyard and when you heard a noise in Shawn's backyard, you said, "Shawn?!" Whenever we see anyone who looks even remotely like him, you shout, "Shawn?! Shawn?!"

You have an incredibly strong will and a pretty bad temper. You know what you want and are NOT happy when you don't get it. I feel like some days are just one tantrum after another. And boy do you know how to throw tantrums. While your strong will is frustrating and exhausting for me (and probably you too) right now, I'm sure it will transform into something great later in your life. And hopefully the temper will subside eventually ;).

You are SO curious and active. Seriously, you never stop moving. Everyone tells me that it's because you're smart, and I'm starting to think that's true. You want to explore everything at all times. You don't care about toys much.. you just want to walk around and find new things. Because you never stop moving, certain things like church are a nightmare. I look around at other moms who are holding their babies peacefully on their laps and am so envious. On a similar note, up until now, you have not wanted anything to do with cuddling. The past month, however, you've started to give hugs and kisses and tolerate small forms of cuddling. I can't tell you how much I love that, even if it's only in small doses.

You love animals of any kind, especially dogs. You used to call them "doddys" and would yell it out whenever you saw one on TV or in real life. You thought every animal was a "doddy" for a while, but now you know about birdies and kitties. I know you'd love it if I got you a dog, but, unfortunately, you are about as much as I can handle right now ;).

Most of all, you are the light of my life. I see now why everyone says that motherhood is the hardest yet most rewarding job in the world. As exhausting as you may be some days, your smile and laugh (and occasional little cuddle) makes it all worth it.

I love you!

Your first day of nursery. We were visiting Grandma and Grandpa Young's ward and you loved it!





No comments:

Post a Comment