It seems as if I mostly only share the positive things about motherhood on my blog. Well, let me tell you, motherhood is not always positive. If you think it is, you're not a mother. Or perhaps you are one of the mothers who is in mine and Sailor's Mommy and Me swim class. One of the moms whose child floats along peacefully in the water and kicks his/her legs at the exact moment that the swim instructor tells him/her to. Unfortunately, I am a mom on the other side of the spectrum. A mom whose child screams whenever he/she is told to make a simple splash in the water (something that this particular child does OVER and OVER in the bathtub when he/she is told not to). A mom whose child screams when told to do anything, for that matter.
As you have probably surmised, today has not been a good motherhood day for me. It all started at about 5 AM this morning. Sailor awoke for her usual morning bottle earlier than normal. She has one every morning at around 6 and then goes back to sleep for another hour or so. Totally normal for a 19-month-old, right? Wrong. If you would've told me 19 months ago that Sailor would still not be sleeping all the way through the night, I would've laughed. Who's laughing now? Not me.
She continued to wake up about every 20 minutes or so until she finally got up for good around 7, at which point we ate breakfast and started to get ready for swim lessons (a process which was not without at least a tantrum or two).
Then there was the Mommy and Me class. These lessons started on Monday and Sailor has gotten progressively less obedient each day. Today she had me on the verge of tears several times until I finally told the instructor that we were leaving early.
And then there were the errands we ran after swim lessons to stall before going to Sailor's doctor's appointment. At the otherwise silent bookstore, Sailor made her screaming entrance as I told her that she could not try on the sunglasses that were by the front door. We then proceeded to the children's section where she decided to pull every book she could find off the shelves while I frantically searched for a couple of books that she might like to have at home.
Lastly, the doctor's appointment. I knew this would be a failure. It always is. "Wait," you say, "Sailor had to go to the doctor today?" Yep. Go figure. It was a follow-up appointment from her surgery, but still. I feel like I've spent half of that girl's life in the doctor's office. Anyway, she refused to watch the children's movie that every other child in the lobby was fascinated by. Instead she chose to walk around and touch every dirty trash can or anything else she could find that looked shiny or hazardous. When we got to the back room, she continued to touch everything in sight, open every drawer she could reach, and climb on anything she could manage to pull herself up on. Any attempt to get her to stop ended in the most blood-curdling scream you could possibly imagine from a 19-month-old. That poor doctor probably couldn't get us out of there fast enough.
Thank goodness Glen was home when we got home. I went into the back room, locked the door (which Sailor was NOT happy about), and had some much needed time to myself.
A "spirited" child: "one who is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent and energetic." That's what the parenting book I'm reading tells me at least. And that definition could not fit Sailor more. I often wonder how Heavenly Father could trust me with a child who is so strong-willed. I never in my wildest dreams expected parenting to be this hard. Will it ever get easier? Will my next child be this exhausting?
I needed some time by myself (and a much needed nap) before I could start thinking again about all of the things I love about Sailor. Yes, she is volatile, but she has more personality than any toddler I've ever known. Yes, she's constantly getting into everything, but she is curious and so smart. And, yes, she's loud, but she is zestful and opinionated.
As I was tucking her in tonight, she sang 'I am a child of God' to me, in her sweet, little voice. Thank goodness for those little moments that keep us moms going. Now if only I can remember that moment during swim lessons tomorrow ;).
Oh Jamie, We need to have a Mom Group together! I always feel like Jack is beyond more out of control than all the other kids he knows - and I am pretty sure our Nursery leaders dread him coming every week! You will have to let me know if you like the books you are reading about "Spirited" children - I have been reading lots on how to raise strong-willed kids. I totally agree though that I wouldn't trade Jack's huge personality!
ReplyDeleteSome days really are just terrible! : ) And sometimes it is good to just say that out loud. You are doing great though! You might not see the good results right now, but you will eventually! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad someone else posts about the bad days. I did that about a month ago because it was just awful and I wanted everyone to know that my life isn't all nice and dandy all the time. Because it's not. And that's okay. It's a good thing Sailor is so cute, right?? Haha.
ReplyDeleteOh geez- I just read this and your last post. Sounds too familiar. You know what's cool about the smarty-pants kid- they can read to younger siblings before they go to school. Once my oldest had someone (two someones in her case) to share her vast wealth of knowledge with she was so happy, bwaha. Anyway. Just saying... the very same energy-draining qualities she has right now might morph into time-savers later. ;) Meanwhile, it's good to see she's just as fun as she is tiring, haha!
ReplyDeleteJamie my heart goes out to you. I love you and your constant efforts to be a better mommy. It would be so much easier to give up, go back to work and let someone else raise that beautiful girl of yours. Hang in there, cry on Glen's shoulder when you need to, then get up go on. You've got a cheerleader rooting you on in Centralia.
ReplyDeleteJamie, I can't believe she isn't sleeping better still! I know it's not completely uncommon, but you actually tried sleep training on her. My word that scares me for this new baby. I love my sleep and you have my sympathy. I'm fairly certain Millie could compete with Sailor's enthusiasm. She scares most of my adult family members when she gets in a mood and is definitely the most spirited in the nursey. I just dread picking her up and getting the report. I love her to pieces and love this age but I do look forward to her being old enough to reason with (or bribe at least).
ReplyDeleteWe all have those days!! I started to tear up on the way home from church last week because I was just so exhausted and frustrated with Paige. And that was only 3 hours. But then they give you kisses or hold your hand and you forget all about it. Just keep those muddy buddys on hand for the rough days:)
ReplyDeleteJamie, Myla has put me in tears PLENTY of times. Especially now in her 2's. Patience. That's all you can do... just love her! Love ya girl!
ReplyDeleteWhit
Jamie, you're an awesome mom. From reading just a couple of your posts, I'm completely convinced. I'm learning more each day what hard work taking care of a sassy little lady can be, and I've only had 3 months of practice. I'm really grateful you shared your blog. I look around at the other moms who are so put together and in control and think am I the only one having a rough time around here? Sailor is stunning, and I've always admired you. I'm quite certain those good days will always out weigh the bad.
ReplyDelete