Thursday, August 18, 2011

Surprise!

Well, I guess I can't really say it was a surprise. Glen and I had been married for almost a year and hadn't been "preventing" (sorry if that's too much information) because birth control made me a mean and terrible person. We had a two-day drive to Dallas for our internships with Deloitte when I started to feel a little sick. The night we moved into our apartment, I decided to take a pregnancy test. The first one came back positive. "No," I thought, "it's just because I turned it upside down while I waited. I'm not pregnant." So Glen and I drove to the store (a trip that seemed to last ten hours) to get another pregnancy test. Then I took the test again. Yep, still positive. Oops. I cried myself to sleep that night, wondering how I was going to finish school with a baby and thinking that I hadn't had enough alone time with Glen before we started having kids. But after a little planning and a lot of time to let it sink in, I was really excited.


The very next day, I started feeling really sick. What are the chances? I'm sure Glen thought I was faking. I had my first doctor's appointment a couple of weeks later and found out that I was already more than eight weeks along. Glen and I got to see Sailor in the ultrasound and it was one of the most incredible experiences I'd ever had. I had a little gummy bear floating around inside of me!

The day we left Dallas we had a doctor's appointment to find out if we were having a boy or girl. I thought boy, Glen thought girl. Glen was right! Bring on the pink!

The next couple of months were rough. Glen and I were working long days at our internships and I was so sick. We always got up before six (well, Glen got up before five to go to the gym but there was no way that was happening for me, even if I wasn't pregnant) and often didn't get home until after six or seven. I remember throwing up in the bathrooms of my clients on several different occasions. At the end of our internships, we both received full-time offers for after graduation but we both declined. By then, Glen had decided to do a PhD and, although we didn't know where he'd do it, we knew we wouldn't be staying in Dallas.

The last four months of my pregnancy were spent during mine and Glen's last year of our master's. It wasn't easy at times, but I was very blessed to be able to get through that semester being pregnant. I tried to stay away from the camera during my pregnancy, but here are a few pictures for memories sake:

Hawaii with my family
My favorite part of pregnancy: the stage when people can't tell if you're pregnant or fat that seemed to last for most of my pregnancy. Or maybe my favorite part was not being able to breathe when I tied by shoes. It's really hard to say..
Halloween
Washington baby shower
6 months along
Some things we did to get ready for Sailor's arrival:
  • Choose a name - This was SO hard for us! We both like really unique names and it was almost impossible to agree on one. Sailor didn't have a name for almost two days after she was born. In our defense, though, she did come more than two weeks early.
  • Shop - I couldn't believe all the things you need to buy for a baby! Luckily, I had three baby showers (one in Washington, one in Mapleton and one in Riverton), so I got most of the things I needed there. And, whatever I didn't get, my mom was happy to buy. I don't know if my dad was as happy about it as she was though.
  • Sew - I know, I know.. those of you who know me are probably thinking, "she must have accidentally typed that word." But I actually did sew! I did all of Sailor's crib bedding and I also made her a couple of headbands. Accountants can be crafty!
  • Read - Since I was a first-time mom, I was rightfully scared. I read a lot in Baby Wise, What to Expect When You're Expecting, and random things online.
Glen sleeping with fake Sailor
Setting up the changing table

**Baby shower pics, Sailor's crib bedding

    No comments:

    Post a Comment